Why Backlink Monitoring is Necessary?
What is Backlink?
A Backlink is nothing but an incoming link to a webpage or website. Backlink has got many other names like Inward links, Inbound links, inlinks and incoming links.Well, it plays a vital role in determining the importance of your Web site.
Why You should Keep Track of Your Existing Links?
Keeping Track of your existing Links refers to Backlink Monitoring. It is done by tracking that which Links are altered and which are removed. And thus before Google take any action about it, monitoring allows us to do the same.
Try to keep natural links or else get ready to be affected negatively !! As it is not only about Monitoring but, much more than that. Because, Google spam detection is all about the patterns in your link profile, which detects natural and unnatural links.
The right way of using Google's Disavow Links Tool
Well, let me tell you first, what Disavow Links tool actually means? Disavow links tool allows publishers to inform google that they don't want links from other sites to be considered. This will save your Web site from getting negatively affected.
Thus following are some points which are needed to be kept in mind before getting started working with this Tool:
- You need to be very careful using this tool because it is not meant for most of the sites. So, don't try this tool until and unless you are sure about using it.
- You should try to remove as many links as you can from the Web. And you need to use domain, if want to ignore particular domain links.
- So, now is the time for disavowing links by uploading a text file, and in this file there should be one URL per line, links or URLs which are needed to be ignored by Google. By performing this task, you are asking Google to disavow links as they are pointing at your Web site and are not trustworthy. And this process may take several weeks to complete.
Step 1: Conduct a Link Audit
Link Audit is the way to demonstrate a website's riskiest, weakest and strongest links. It can help you understand more about the domains linking to your website.
Some are the following Tools which will help you in getting more complete list of your backlinks:
- Google Webmaster Tool: It is a free tool and by using this we can download latest backlinks. Current version of this tool provides an option of “Links to your site” under the traffic section. There you will get an option of "Download This Table" and that action will return a CSV report of your site's backlinks.
- Majestic SEO: Majestic SEO is an ample Link map of the internet. It crawls the web like a regular search engine. It gives you an idea about the ways in which web pages link to each other.
- Linkody: The backlink checker with ease of use which keeps on monitoring your links 24x7. It will notify and update you by sending email reports on the status of your backlinks, to let you know about the removal of those links.
- Link Assistant: it has many features to keep track of all link deals. You can monitor your link popularity over time.Users of Link Assistant have the benefit to keep an eye on their daily progress.
- Opensiteexplorer: This tool is a great place for link analysis as it is giving access to its data by logging into it for free. There are many benefits using this tool like it is free, quick, simple, the built-in facility for export to .CSV, etc.
Step 2: Analyze, Export and Organize Your Links
In this step, you need to analyze the whole data thoroughly by reading the step 1 i.e. How to conduct a link Audit? To identify the spammy links followed by exporting them into Excel file. Then after you must organize all your data in a worksheet by downloading all your links into it and flag the unnatural ones. At the end manual review is must to 'audit' the tool's output.
Step 3: Link removal through email outreach
For link removal there is an option to let the webmaster know about the position of the links on the page and the anchor text, where it points. Thus, by performing this process, the webmaster will recognize you as a human and the task of finding and removing the links will get easier.
Step 4: Now its time to use the Disavow Tool
Follow these simple steps and you are done. Log in to Google Webmaster Tools --> Select your Website --> You will get a prompt from Google to upload a plain text file containing the links you want to Disavow, the links which you could not get removed manually.
How Does the Disavow Links Tool Work?
You know what? This is the Tool for all those low quality backlinks pointing at your site which you failed to get rid of. And the main aim of this Tool is to help cleaning websites from the paid links and from the damage done to their websites by bad SEO practitioners. Do remember, this Tool should only be used when you are left with no other options after trying hard in cleaning spammy link profile, as it is an act of last resort.
According to Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s web spam team during a keynote at the Pubcon, who actually released this tool, when asked how long will it take the results to come after disavowing links? Then he said, "It can definitely take some time, and potentially months. There's a time delay for data to be baked into the index. Then there can also be the time delay after that for data to be refreshed in various algorithms". You must keep in mind that you cannot dump links by uploading all of it to the Disavow Links Tool, and if you try doing this, it won't work at all. So, you need to be very careful using this tool.
Check the Status of Google Penguin Link Removals Using Screaming Frog
It gets tedious to check the status of link removal when there are hundreds or thousands of links to be removed, right? And also gets difficult to know whether they are actually being removed. So, Screaming Frog is the solution to this problem. As it is the automated way to check the inbound spammy links which are needed to be removed. Thus, save your time by not checking them manually.
Screaming Frog SEO Tool
Screaming Frog is a great help to Penguin, as it does many tasks like crawling websites, checking on-page optimization in bulk, flagging crawl errors, checking XML site maps, etc. And all these process will be a definite help in checking if spammy links are still active or not. By this, Google Penguin Link removals' status can be checked.
The screaming frog SEO Spider is just a small desktop program which can be installed on your PC which monitors links, CSS, images, script and apps from the websites from an SEO point of view. It will let you fetch key on-site page elements for SEO, shows them by type in tabs and allows you to filter for common SEO issues and thus you can export the whole into Excel. Thus you can view, filter an analyze the crawl data.
How To Use Screaming Frog to Check Backlinks
You need to follow some steps to check inbound links and they are:
Step 1: Copy all links which you want to remove in a text file
Here, Screaming Frog Tool will be used in 'List' mode. This means that it will crawl URLs, so you are supposed to provide unnatural links in the text file by copying it from Excel, every link should be in a separate line.
Step 2: Now Launch Screaming Frog
Now, is the role of Screaming Frog. Launch Screaming Frog > Select Mode > Choose List. Thus, after providing it with the list of URLs, let it crawl a specific domain.
Step 3: Select Your File
Click 'Select File' and choose your text file, after changing Screaming Frog to 'List' mode. Finally, click the text file you want to crawl.
Step 4: Configure the Custom Filter
You need to click 'Configuration' > 'custom' and you will see the custom filter configuration dialog box, where you can enter HTML code for Screaming Frog to know for the page it crawls. And once you are done click 'OK'
Step 5: Crawl The Flagged Pages
Screaming Frog will check all the URLs when you will click 'Start'. And in 'Custom' tab your result will appear.
Step 6: Export The Results
You need to export all the results after crawling to a 'csv' file which can be accessed through Excel.
Update Your Spreadsheets and Keep Removing
In this final step, you need to do documentation of all your work to get the feedback of the actually removed links. For this you will need spreadsheets to track your progress and a Disavow Links Tool for some links to be removed after trying to remove those manually.
Frogs - A great help to Penguins !!
From all the above details, we can say that Frog is actually helping a lot to Penguins, isn't it? So when you need to deal with hundreds of thousands of links, which is not possible manually. Then you must opt for Screaming Frog and Deep Crawl.
So, from the above post it has been proved that how important the backlink monitoring is. And a great help can be taken from Disavow links tool and Screaming Frog. Thus, this will definitely be helpful to you if your site has been penalized by Penguin. Be safe and save your time by using these Tools.