The Importance of Mobile Marketing and M-Commerce
What is Mobile Marketing?
Mobile Marketing is the process by which you use cellular or mobile phone communication to interact with your customers. You could be sending them an advertisement for a product, requesting their participation in a campaign or allowing them to make purchases or browse on your mobile e-commerce site. This method of mobile connectivity provides another option for accessing the internet and engaging with eMarketing via cell phone or other portable device with internet access. Mobile Marketing is an extension of traditional internet marketing, but is growing by leaps and bounds because people really spend more of their time with their mobile devices than they do on their computers.
In mobile marketing SMS messages take the place of traditional email advertising. At the same time, ads are also placed on mobile web browsers, which of course, must be specially formatted for mobile devices. Many people like to play the games found on mobile devices, and there will generally be advertisements placed there also.
M-Commerce is simply the term that has been coined to mean transactions completed by cellular phones or PDAs using Wi-Fi to connect to the internet. M-Commerce means mobile commerce. This is a field which is growing rapidly and offers some excellent options for small business to get in on E-Commerce.
There are several advantages to be had with M-Commerce.
- The number of mobile users is increasing dramatically.
- It is easier to reach customers via the phone which is always with them.
- It is easier for your business to compete in the marketplace.
- You have the opportunity to access a more affluent audience.
- The cost of development of your M-Commerce site is minimal.
- Mobile marketing opens up a whole new sales channel for your business.
- It is easier to drive local traffic with multichannel retailing.
- It is easy for shoppers to make comparisons.
- Smart Phones are fashionable and everyone either has one or wants one.
- In today’s marketplace M-Commerce is an essential part of online and traditional business ventures.
- Consumers can shop and pay with mobile devices.
How to Optimize Content for Mobile Devices
There is a definite difference between computer accessed websites and websites accessed by mobile devices. Traditional websites are extremely inefficient when viewed on mobiles, and this means that content must be appropriately optimized for mobile devices. The mobile site is a separate entity from the traditional website, and is generally accessed by a redirect from the traditional site.
There are several factors to consider when optimizing mobile content. Customers tend to browse on mobile devices while they are on the move during their regular daily routines, so the mobile offering needs to be as easy to use and efficient as possible. Here are some factors which you need to consider when optimizing mobile content.
- Offer the main points of your information first, followed by the more in-depth information.
- Direct and concise language is vital.
- Your front load content should always come first (information which is distinctive).
- Make sure that the user consents before you begin downloading any information to them.
- Your pages should conform to a 320 X 240 pixel sized screens.
- Make your design as simple as possible due to the limited screen size.
- Instead of images, use alt tags.
- Avoid flash, scripting languages, or any other object which is complex enough to interfere with efficient device operation.
- Tables or graphs should not be used as their sizes are fixed and they may not properly fit the screens of some mobile devices.
- Use extreme caution with animation.
- Avoid using drop down menus.
SEO experts can assist you with strategies that will optimize your SEO, link building, keyword research and sitemaps. SEO is just as important to mobile marketing as it is to traditional online venues.
Benefits of Mobile Optimized Content
Relying on mobile devices is currently one of the most popular trends in modern society. The growing number of smart phone options makes mobile marketing or e-commerce a fantastic new opportunity for all types of businesses. These options allow consumers to shop anytime and anywhere they can access the internet. In addition, there are a number of other benefits for businesses who employ a mobile marketing option.
- Mobile Marketing allows you to reach the largest audience possible, and do it during a much wider range of hours and days than ever before.
- This is instant communication and gives you the ability to reach the maximum number of consumers with either single or bulk messaging techniques, anytime and anywhere.
- You are able to achieve instant tracking and recording of results.
- You can employ demographics which are specific for targeting your consumer group by gender, age or location.
- Mobile marketing is by far the most cost efficient option for business. It provides you with additional revenue, but is a low cost option for distribution and production.
- You gain a 24/7 direct link to your consumer group.
- It offers new options for your marketing messages to go viral, with instant sharing.
- It offers cross-media integration of advertising, and can easily be tied into television or radio advertising.
With all of the advantages of traditional online e-marketing, Mobile Marketing is the wave of the present and future for businesses. It is presented in a simpler more effective format, you have the ability to reach a wide range of consumers in a much shorter amount of time, it is easier for your business to go viral, and easier for the customer to use. In addition, the costs of development and implementation are far less than a traditional website. Really, what’s not to like?